We recommend focusing your daily diet and supplements on the 3P's - Polyphenols, Prebiotics and Probiotics.
- Polyphenols - natural chemical bioactives from edible plants. At the correct strength, they are effective for a wide range of health problems.
- Prebiotics - inedible plant fibres that specifically feed healthy gut bacteria.
- Probiotics - healthy gut bacteria. We play host to trillions of bacteria and yeasts, many of which live in our gut. Some examples of species are lactobacillus, bifidobacteria and saccharomyces.
This week we're talking about two polyphenols in particular, S-allyl cysteine (SAC) and Elenolic Acid (ELA), which are derived from Black Garlic and Olive Leaf.
A daily intake of Black Garlic and Olive Leaf is a popular recipe of sorts, but not for the kitchen! In fact, it is one for optimum immune health whether taken short or long term, to support our natural defences and much more.
Garlic - Black or White?
Black garlic is white garlic that has been aged and fermented for a period of up to 6 months under controlled temperatures and humidity. The physiological changes to garlic as a result of this process are the reasons for its enhanced bioactivity.
So, what happens:
The most obvious change is that it turns from white to black and loses its potent odour. Fermentation reduces the sulphur content of white garlic, which eliminates that tell-tale garlic odour. Its taste is also changed from pungent to sweet with a new sticky, chewy texture. Allicin, the main biochemical in a white garlic bulb, is converted to the polyphenol S-allyl cysteine (SAC). This increases the potency of this phytochemical by up to 10-fold. It is this plant powerhouse that really provides the many health benefits.
Did you know that Black Garlic can:
- Reduce oxidative stress on the heart.
- Help to maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Improve gut health.
- Contribute to improved immune health.
Black Garlic supplement from The Naked Pharmacy is:
- Free from synthetics with a tapioca capsule shell.
- Batch tested for the effective strength of SAC.
- Fortified with an organic prebiotic, Moringa, for additional gut support.
- Odourless and safe.
We recommend a daily dose of ONE capsule, with or after food for this all-round, hardworking supplement.
Elenolic Acid (ELA) from Olive Leaf.
Olive leaves have been used in medicine dating back to Ancient Egypt, where they were considered a divine symbol as well as a popular remedy for fever.
Recent reports have shown that ELA acts to effectively put the brakes on a viral life cycle. It has been shown to be a natural neuraminidase inhibitor, recommended by WHO for viral infection management. We know that neuraminidase is an enzyme present in the flu virus that facilitates entry of the virus into a healthy host cell. ELA prevents this.
Olive Leaf from The Naked Pharmacy is:
- 100% plant based. The Olive leaves are carefully harvested in Spain and an innovative process is used to isolate the ELA extract to create the most effective supplement.
- Fortified with the natural prebiotic, Moringa Leaf, for a prebiotic to support your microbiome and gut health.
- Side effect free and safe to take alongside prescribed medicines such as antibiotics.
Easy to remember dose of ONE capsule daily, with or after food.